3+1 date night restaurant recommendations
To add a twist to our series on Penang, the number one place on earth for food (my opinion), I thought I’d take as step away from street food and write up some higher class dining establishments.
Our good friend Dave Ray, photographer and expat living in Penang shared with me his top three restaurants for when he wants to take his wife Julie out for a fancy date night. These are the opinions of one guy. If you have a restaurant you’d like to invite Dave, myself and our wives, we’d be more than willing to give you a fair shake.
Dave’s List for Date night restaurants
- Ferringhi Garden Restaurant in Batu Ferringhi. Great atmosphere. Awesome service. Delicious food beautifully presented. Ample parking in the back.
- The Sire Museum Restaurant; 4 King St. in Georgetown. Affiliated with Ferringhi Gardens. Beautiful layout. Interesting place. You can get up and walk around, look at their displays. Food is very good. They are open very late. (we arrived at 10, stayed til 11:30)
- Summer Gardens Food Bistro, #2 Lorong Lembah Permai 3, in Tanjung Bungah. Most of the atmosphere is nice, One of the rooms have bizarre artwork that not everyone will enjoy. Very interesting menu. They had Wagyu Kobe beef on the menu. Beautifully presented.(facebook page)
My date night restaurant
My wife and I would like to add Bella Marino Ristorante in Straits Quay. I’ve written about this neat little Italian restaurant in the past. We keep coming back. The last time we were there, the owner, Terrance, told us that they are moving to Pulau Tikus. So keep a watch for that announcement on either their Facebook page or Living in Penang Facebook page
On our wish-list to try.
- Thirty-two at the Mansion. A little pricy. You know it’s pricy when the menu is listed in USD instead of MYR
- Suffolk House Restaurant. It will be worth a look because a new chef has taken over as of Oct 2013. Reports are that the shift is towards an Indian-Anglo menu.
Dave’s tours coming up
As mentioned in other posts, Dave runs photography tours in Southeast Asia. I want to highlight one of his scheduled tours for next year. Dave will be taking participants across Java and Bali, capturing some of the best scenery as well as going into villages and seeing the culture through an insider’s lens. Interested in signing up? Visit the event page for the Dave Ray Photo Java Bali tour.
So what are your recommendations for a date night in Penang? Please share them in the comments below.
I’ll be back soon with more Penang Street Food that we love.